Powered By Blogger

Monday 8 July 2013

At last! An Irish Cattle Egret tick!!

Since I took up birdwatching I learned that there are some birds that will become your bogey birds, as in you'll try and find them, and you know they are there because some other birder had it the day before, but when you go for it you just can't seem to find it. Now this might not be your fault as the bird might have moved on or it could be simply hiding and doesn't re-appear until you're gone. Cattle Egrets were one of the birds that did this to me on several occasions. I had them abroad  but never here. So when one showed up in Donegal on the 11th of December last year I couldn't make it up as I was out of action with my ankle. So thinking my chance was gone I just marked it down as another Cattle Egret that escaped me. But no it hung around and started to be reported close to where it had been originally seen, and today was going to be my day. I got to Porthall at around 2pm and there it was bold as brass, cock of the walk, following a large herd of cattle around feeding on the grubs and other insects the cattle were stirring up. Today was a great day for me, I love getting Irish ticks like this bird and to have one in summer plumage as well made it even sweeter.









No comments: