Powered By Blogger

Monday 6 June 2011

Birding in Kerry

Birding in Co Kerry in the summer can prove very fruitful. I was heading away for the weekend, so why not head to Co Kerry. While there I went for a boat trip to Skellig Michael. There I had the best views ever of Puffin, Guillemot, Black Guillemot, Razorbill, Fulmar and Gannets. Also seen there was Manx Shearwater, Storm Peterl, Redpoll, Chough, Rock Pipit and plenty of Gulls. The following day I took a spin up the Gap of Dunloe in search of White-tailed Eagles, So I stopped on the way near the upper lake and found 2 Eagles (the most I`ve ever seen together in Ireland) while in the gap I had Common Sandpiper, Willow Warbler, Sand Martin and Raven. A walk around the National Park in Killarney yielded Woodcock, Chiffchaff, Coal tit, Great tit, Blue tit, Swift, Treecreeper, Blackcap, Dipper and many more of the usual suspects. Not only were there birds, I also had plenty of mammals with Badger, Red Deer, Fallow Deer and bats being the highlight of the park and Grey Seals on the Skelligs. So why not head to Kerry for a spot of birding! Go on, you know you want to!











No comments: