Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Dublin Ross's, a hit and miss for some!!!

I've been trying to get out and about recently but with work it's been hard. There are some nice birds knocking about in Dublin and I finally got out for a few hours on Saturday. So I met up with a good friend and we headed for the Ross's Gull at Poolbeg.

This bird has been a hit and miss for a lot of the guys up here and when it does show up it only usually hangs about for 15 minutes. So we decided to do Poolbeg first and if the Red-necked Grebe was to show up we would head for it. So four and a half hours later a text came through that the Red-necked Grebe was showing well in Dun Laoghaire inside the harbour. So there was no sign of the Ross's we said we would go and get it. But before we left I made a quick call to make sure the bird was still there and to my disappointment it hand moved out of the harbour . So we stayed where we were and hung around to see if the Gull would show.

Eight and a half hours and at least 30-40 birders later there was no joy and with other engagements and the light going we had to call it a day. So picture my annoyance when I got a text 30 minutes after we left that the Ross's was after appearing and hung around for 15 minutes gave good views. So roll on Sunday morning, and not making the same mistake I made the day before I headed straight for The Red-necked Grebe. While on my way through Blackrock I received a text that the Ross's was back at Poolbeg. It was an easy decision, Ross's would be a life tick and an Irish one at that. When I got there it was out in the middle of the channel but it was giving nice views. So another new gull of the year and what a relief. In the end I didn't go for the grebe, I may do that this weekend.

 2 shots of the Ross`s from last Sunday

 There is still one Snow Bunting knocking about on the Bull
 There are plenty of Black Guillemots about at present
 And also plenty of Kittiwakes around too


No comments: