Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Oystercatcher

The Oystercatcher is a bird that I feel is over looked way to often and I`m one of the culprits as I don`t think I`ve covered them on my blog. It has to be one of our most colourful  shore birds that we have in Ireland and Europe. They often go about their business probing the ground looking for small shellfish hiding in the sand on the shore or cranefly larvae and worms in the soil on your local green area. They have a distinctive call and like the Curlews call just reminds me of the seaside. So the next time your out and about near the shore, listen and look out for this little gem.





1 comment:

19th green said...

Pictures are so stunning & beautiful. You had a great trip……
Killarney is very nice place like full of life....