Powered By Blogger

Sunday 3 April 2011

Great Grey Shrike and Oxford Island Nature Reserver Co Antrim

Seen as there was a lot of fuss on the Irish bird lines about a Great Grey Shrike I decided I had to see him. It had been a while since a bird like this had arrived in Ireland. So with a 3-4 Hour drive ahead of me I set out at 05:30 in the morning. Getting to the spot a little ahead of schedule. I was delighted to see the bird was very active but it was distant as you can see from the snaps I got. But still a lifer for my list. After that I headed for Oxford Island Nature Reserve for another bird I hadn`t seen; a Ruddy Duck. There was 4 in all, hiding in the reed bed of course. So it was a waiting game for 2 hours before one decided to come out. It was worth waiting for. I love these birds, also seen at OINR were great numbers of Pochard, Tufted Duck and little grebes. But the amount of Great Crested Grebes was fantastic; all displaying and in their breeding colours. Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs were in fine song in the Willows and trees around the lake and a Grey Squirrel made an appearance as I was leaving. So another great day had.
Great Grey Shrike.



Ruddy Duck, made me wait but it was worth it.



Great Crested Grebes were really in Spring mode.



Willow Warblers were in fine song.

Grey Squirrel, none down my side of the country. (Thank God)